Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Surprise! I'm alive.

I have recently fallen in love with Haiku's. I love how they are so real and condensed. How they are able to portray a profoundly human moment, or feeling. So simple but so deep.

Here, this is my favorite:

What a strange thing! to be alive beneath cherry blossoms.
-Issa Kobayashi

You know sometimes when you find your mind suddenly circling around the realization of your existence?
"Wow, I exist. I am here. I was born and have lived, and am living, right now."

It's this mixed feeling of peculiarity and awe that strikes you in the oddest of times.

You think about it until you question the mind's wandering capacity- after which you move on to questions like "What makes an apple tree know when it's ready to drop apples?" and " Why does a minute have 60 seconds?".

Moving on, the simplicity of haiku's are what attracts me to them. The ability to capture such a human experience; an otherwise mundane or uneventful moment, and make it something to deep think about, seems like such a calming and appreciative process. I think that's beautiful.

The haiku above resonates with me because I often think about my existence, and why we exist. How complex all human beings' lives are, and how strange it is to be doing what we are doing and why we are meant to do it.

It just feels strange, even though you're so small, so significantly small; you were born to play a role in the madness that Earth was modeled after.

Till next time :)

-K-


No comments:

Post a Comment