Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Harmony Silk Factory



Reading this book has required me to open my dictionary more times than I have ever opened a dictionary in my entire life. (Exaggerating, yes.)

But I think that's why I liked it so much. I didn't even know half of those words existed. And those words were formal, and sort of posh, which I think fit the novel perfectly because of the era it was set in. It's set in during and post WWII in Malaya by the way. The story is written through three perspectives of the notorious Johnny Lim's life, from Jasper's (son of Johnny) point of view, Snow's (Johnny's wife) point of view, and finally Peter's (Johnny's good friend) point of view. My favourite at first, was Snow's but as I read further I found Peter's side of the story more satisfying to read, as he explained the things that I was wondering about in earlier stages of the book. I think that's Tash Aw's way of writing too, he doesn't reaveal everything at the start in this book, he lets you wonder and wonder, and all of a sudden something happens, or someone comes into the picture and you find yourself re-reading previous pages to figure out what you'd missed, when in truth you didn't miss anything and it's just that frustration and curiosity that keeps your eyes glued until finally,

"Yeahhhh! I knew it!!"

or
"Ohhh! So that's who he was!".
or just plain old
"Oh My God!"

I like the way he described the setting, especially when he described it from an Englishman's view, because everything seemed so exotic, so warm and so vivid.

My mother didn't like this book because she felt it was a bit draggy, so when I wanted to read it I did have my doubts, but I really did enjoy it :) Good good read.

Well, for me at least.

Next on my 'to read' list, is another book by Tash Aw, Map of the Invisible World.

I'll let you know what it's like :)

Woohoo Tash Aw!

No comments:

Post a Comment