Monday, January 14, 2013

It's you, you rare and unearthly thing.

Jane Eyre; the movie based on the book of the same name by Charlotte Brontë.

The title of this entry is a line from the movie. The original line from the book is "...You -- you strange -- you almost unearthly thing...". And this is when it was said in the movie:

Mia and Michael as Mr Rochester and Jane. 


Without a doubt, one of the most profound scenes I have ever seen.
The scene where Mr Fairfax Rochester proposes to Jane Eyre.

As to Mia Wasikowska's performance as Jane in this scene, I have only one word to describe with: real.
Maybe two words: Extremely real.
You could just tell how doubtful, angry and passionate she was. I didn't feel like I was watching a movie, it was more like watching a real person expressing their feelings. So that's someone who knows how to do their job fantastically for you.

Michael Fassbender will always be Michael Fassbender... the versatile and amazing actor that he is. I'll watch anything with him in it, anything.

I just can't get over the fact that I remember this scene out of all the scenes in the good movies I've seen, which means that it has made that kind of impact on me. The dialogue was just fantastic, and so soulful and meaningful. The cinematography, the setting. Perfect. I just am in love with it.

I'll even go out on a limb and declare it my favourite, and believe me I've let my brain battle over it and the scene where Elizabeth rejects Mr Darcy's first marriage proposal in Pride & Prejudice (2005) starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen.

Mr Darcy (Michael Macfadyen) proposing to Elizabeth (Keira Knightley). 


As you probably notice, I love period pieces. Movies set in old times, like medieval, or renaissance or in the case of the two mentioned movies above, the romantic era (19th century).

I so strongly recommend the two movies above, if you don't mind emotional love stories, good classical music and long movies.

I have no idea what you'll think of the scene and the movie as a whole.. but I'll tell you now, again, it's one of the best I've seen. Probably because I have an old soul...and like what may seem like boring old things to other people. My friends always tell me I like things that make them fall asleep...and thus one of them devised a befitting nickname for me.
Granny.
Apparently I laugh like one too. Whatever that means.

Till the next time
Love,
A-Mr-Rochester-and-Mr-Darcy-Fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment